Nikiti is one of the most important areas of Sithonia. Finds that existed in prehistoric times have been found in the area. Since then, life has continued in the area with small settlements, smaller or larger villages. During the classical years, the most important small town in the area was Galipsos. It seems that many settlers of Halkidiki were added to its inhabitants during the 8th and 7th century BC.
He later became a member of the Athenian alliance. In 432, he withdrew from the alliance and a part of the population moved to Olynthos. We do not know anything about its end, but archeological findings show that the city was alive until Roman times.
It seems that one of the main reasons for the fading was the creation of a new settlement very close to Galipsos, ie in the area of Agios Georgios. A new settlement began to appear there in the Hellenistic years, which developed very quickly and was the most important in the area until the 6th century AD. At that time, the settlement that was in the area of Elia must have been destroyed. From the 6th century AD. until the end of the 13th century, there is no information about the area.
In 1300, most of Nikiti belonged to various monasteries of Mount Athos (Xenophon, Lavra, Xiropotamos), but there was also an independent village, Psalida, from which only the completely destroyed tower survived. This village must have been destroyed by the Catalans around 1308.
At the beginning of the 14th century, the creation of the current settlement of Nikiti began. First, it was a small settlement of the cultivators of the monastery Naxytos, which belonged to the monastery of Xenophon. Over time the inhabitants increased and by the 15th century it must have been an independent village.
In 1821, Nikiti was destroyed by the Turks and its inhabitants scattered. From 1822 to 1827, most returned and rebuilt the village. Today Nikiti is one of the most powerful parts of Halkidiki and the most important beekeeping center in Greece.